CLED Special Programs will create custom programs focusing on professional English language skills for sponsors such as foundations, multinational corporations, universities, and government agencies.
We will work closely with you to determine how best to meet the needs of your group. Our programs usually combine content instruction with additional activities to create a fuller, more effective learning experience.
Course topics may focus entirely on professional communication skills, or combine that with another content area such as public policy or business administration. In those cases, CLED Special Programs would collaborate with other Georgetown University departments to create one integrated learning experience for your group.
Customization normally requires the following steps:
- Initial consultation
The Special Programs Director meets with you by phone, email or in person to discuss project goals, training objectives, and post-program follow-up.
CLED Special Programs submits a proposed program design for review.
If you agree to the proposal, a formal contract is drawn up.
- Needs Analysis and Design
CLED Special Programs conducts a Needs Analysis to gather more information about the trainees in order to fine-tune the curriculum.
CLED Special Programs runs the custom program for the trainees.
- Program Assessment
Upon completion, the program is evaluated to compare the end results with the initial objectives and to mark out areas to be refined when the program is run again.
Some program features to consider:
- Location: Coursework may be done:
- through a combination of online and on-site study
- on the Georgetown University campus
- at another site in Washington, DC
- in the participants’ home country
- Activities: To supplement classwork, programs could include:
- guest lectures from expert speakers
- networking and cultural events
- site visits to company/government offices
- interviews with government officials and business executives
- shadowing internships
- Skills training could include:
- giving formal and informal presentations
- running seminar discussions
- writing business letters and reports
- preparing elevator speeches and cold calls
- interviewing contacts
- communicating and negotiating with team members
- thinking critically
- writing analyses of case studies
- reading large volumes of business writing quickly and efficiently
Our clients have included:
- U.S. Department of Defense National Security Education Program
- World Bank
- Tokyo Metropolitan Government
- Embassy of France
- Paris Chamber of Commerce
- Mitsubishi Corporation
- SK Corporation of Korea
- Georgetown’s McDonough School of Business
- Tokyo Metropolitan University
- Matsushita Institute of Management
- Ritsumeikan University
Request a Custom Program
To request a Custom Professional Communication program, contact Christa Hansen, Director of Special Programs and Program Development.